The Mental Health of Arabs in the USA
For this video, I am going to share with you common myths about mental health challenges and facts based on research that addresses these misconceptions.
1. Amer MM, Hovey JD. Anxiety and depression in a post-September 11 sample of Arabs in the USA. Social psychiatry and psychiatric epidemiology. 2012;47(3):409-418.
2. MentalHealth.gov. Mental Health Myths and Facts. Updated 02/28/2022. https://www.mentalhealth.gov/basics/mental-health-myths-facts
3. Wang PS, Berglund PA, Olfson M, Kessler RC. Delays in initial treatment contact after first onset of a mental disorder. Health Services Research. 2004;39(2):393-416.
4. Hasan AA, Musleh M. Barriers to seeking early psychiatric treatment amongst first-episode psychosis patients: A qualitative study. Issues in Mental Health Nursing. 2017;38(8):669-677.
5. Zolezzi M, Alamri M, Shaar S, Rainkie D. Stigma associated with mental illness and its treatment in the Arab culture: A systematic review. International Journal of Social Psychiatry. 2018;64(6):597-609.
6. Weatherhead S, Daiches A. Muslim views on mental health and psychotherapy. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice. 2010;83(1):75-89.
7. Youssef J, Deane FP. Factors influencing mental-health help-seeking in Arabic-speaking communities in Sydney, Australia. Mental Health, Religion & Culture. 2006;9(1):43-66.
8. Alhomaizi D, Alsaidi S, Moalie A, Muradwij N, Borba CP, Lincoln AK. An Exploration of the Help-Seeking Behaviors of Arab-Muslims in the US: A Socio-ecological Approach. Journal of Muslim Mental Health. 2018;12(1)
9. Aldalaykeh M, Al-Hammouri MM, Rababah J. Predictors of mental health services help-seeking behavior among university students. Cogent Psychology. 2019;6(1):1660520.
10. Rice AN, Harris SC. Issues of cultural competence in mental health care. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association. 2021;61(1):e65-e68.
11. Eldeeb SY. Understanding and Addressing Arab-American Mental Health Disparities. Scholarly Undergraduate Research Journal at Clark. 2017;3(1):1.
12. Arboleda-Flórez J, Stuart H. From sin to science: fighting the stigmatization of mental illnesses. The Canadian Journal of Psychiatry. 2012;57(8):457-463.
13. Klarić M, Lovrić S. Methods to fight mental illness stigma. Psychiatria Danubina. 2017;29(suppl. 5):910-917.